POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Warning about Geocities : Re: A Warning about Geocities Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Warning about Geocities
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 5 Jul 1999 19:11:55
Message: <37813C22.5FF9647D@xs4all.nl>
Cliff Bowman wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jul 1999 16:28:35 +0200, Remco de Korte
> <rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:
>
> It's possible that their agreement _could_ (only could) infringe the
> POV legal docs. I've not looked at these for a long time (far too
> long) but the rough gist seems to be "this software is free, don't use
> it to make money". If Yahoo sell POV-created images for a profit,
> having extracted your (my, whoever's) permission to do so by allowing
> them any use they desire of the object - then is someone breaking
> POV's terms? They're certainly breaking the spirit of the idea of free
> software, IMHO.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff Bowman

Up comes another issue. I read the povlegal-docs in the beginning but such
things tend to evaporate from my memory. Is it true that you're not allowed to
sell POV-images for a profit? I thought that was restricted to the program. Am I
mistaken? How about programs that work with POVRay?

Regards,

Remco
http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcodek/pov.html