POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Warning about Geocities : Re: A Warning about Geocities Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Warning about Geocities
From: Ken
Date: 5 Jul 1999 19:05:45
Message: <378139C5.E0E889FC@pacbell.net>
Cliff Bowman wrote:

> It's possible that their agreement _could_ (only could) infringe the
> POV legal docs. I've not looked at these for a long time (far too
> long) but the rough gist seems to be "this software is free, don't use
> it to make money". If Yahoo sell POV-created images for a profit,
> having extracted your (my, whoever's) permission to do so by allowing
> them any use they desire of the object - then is someone breaking
> POV's terms? They're certainly breaking the spirit of the idea of free
> software, IMHO.

That is not the case. The Pov team does not want the "Program" sold for
profit nor do they allow that others will incorporate their program into
theirs and use it to profit from. No where do they discourage you from
rendering images with the software and trying to earn money from the
sale of those images. Their intent is to protect their own intellectual
property rights where the software they distribute is concerned and not
the content of the product that may be produced by use of said softwares
where legaly obtained and used in accordance with the terms of use policy.

This is at least my interpertation of the acceptable use policy that I
have agreed to by using it as I do.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net