POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Big Bug Found : Re: Big Bug Fix Found Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:21:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Big Bug Fix Found
From: Ken
Date: 5 Jul 1999 16:35:03
Message: <3781167D.EA988AC5@pacbell.net>
Ken wrote:

>  Arranging it once again and incoporating one of your changes it is still
> evident the the object on top is thicker than the object on the bottom -
> I think.
>
>   camera       { location < 0, 0, -.5> look_at 0}
>   light_source { <-4,4,-3> rgb 1}
>
>   text       { ttf "timrom.ttf" "BIG" .5,0 translate<-0.85,   0,0>pigment{rgb 2}}
>   text       { ttf "timrom.ttf" "BUG" .5,0 translate<-1.05,-.67,0>pigment{rgb 1}}
>
>   background { rgb .65}

  The most compelling argument yet that there is a possible problem with
the text object comes when we render the following example. In a difference
operation with two equally thick objects we would expect a coincident surface
problem. Evidence from the following example shows this not to be the case
because there is still some of the differencing object remaing in the back
of the lower differenced text object. This indicates to me that the text
object on top is offset slightly in the -z diffection where on would instead
expect the surfaces to be flush with one another. It might be a precision
problem on the Windows platform and I would like to hear from someone
running on a different platform if they too witness what I am seeing.

  camera       { location < 0, .1, -.3> look_at 0}
  light_source { <-4,4,-3> rgb 1}

  difference {
  text       { ttf "timrom.ttf" "BUG" .5,0 translate<-1.05,-.67,0>pigment{rgb 1}}
  text       { ttf "timrom.ttf" "BIG" .5,0 translate<-0.85,   0,0>pigment{rgb 2}}
             }
  background { rgb .65}

--
Ken Tyler