POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Warning about Geocities : Re: A Warning about Geocities Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Warning about Geocities
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 5 Jul 1999 18:55:27
Message: <3780ee0c.87807854@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 05 Jul 1999 16:28:35 +0200, Remco de Korte
<rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:

>Uwe Zimmermann wrote:

[snip]
>> "[..] By submitting Content to any Yahoo property, you automatically
>> grant [..] Yahoo the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive
>> and fully sublicensable right and license to _use_, _reproduce_,
>> _modify_, _adapt_, _publish_, _translate_, _create derivative_ works
>> from, _distribute_, _perform and display_ such Content (in whole or
>> part) worldwide and/or to _incorporate_ it in other works in any form,
>> media, or technology now known or later developed. [..]"
>>
>> Well isn't it, what we expect Yahoo to do? Publish our pages on a
>> worldwide basis?
[snip]

>What bothers me is the part where they say they can adapt or modify the content.
>What would that imply?

Their paragraph leads to a number of possible implications which are
worrying to varying degrees.

For example - they *don't* have to credit you if they re-use your
image (or whatever) since you've granted them right to do so with no
mention of their having to credit you.
They *can* charge for your image (or whatever) should they so choose
to do. It might be your intent (as with my ex-geocities site) for your
work to be freely available, for nothing. Nowt. Because you want
people to see it. There's nothing stopping them gathering up images
from across their servers and making an expensive coffee-table book
from them.
It's possible that their agreement _could_ (only could) infringe the
POV legal docs. I've not looked at these for a long time (far too
long) but the rough gist seems to be "this software is free, don't use
it to make money". If Yahoo sell POV-created images for a profit,
having extracted your (my, whoever's) permission to do so by allowing
them any use they desire of the object - then is someone breaking
POV's terms? They're certainly breaking the spirit of the idea of free
software, IMHO.

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/
PS change ".duffcom" to ".net" if replying via e-mail