POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Fox Network uses povray??? : Re: Fox Network uses povray??? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fox Network uses povray???
From: Steven Durham
Date: 1 Jul 1999 11:05:57
Message: <377b83d5@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message

> Steven Durham wrote:
>
> > <insert>
> > judging by posts at comp.graphics.rendering.raytracing, there are some
> > people with e-mail adresses like @pixar.com and @sgi.com
> > using POV extensively. If you care to debate your position with them,
you
> > might want to join one of the ongoing threads there.
> >
> > thanks again Steven
> > <end comment>
>
>   As one of those people who was involved in the thread in question I
would
> like to point out you missed the point in that thread. Larry Gritz the
> @pixar.com address you mention thinks Pov is a nice quaint little program
> but is hardly worth a second glance for the type of work that they do.
> Larry is also the author of the program BRMT and helps write a lot of the
> software routines that Pixar uses in their productions. They would not
> consider even for a moment using a program like Pov-Ray. It's
capablilities
> are far too limited and lack the modelling interface neccessare for their
> modelling tasks. I think Larry gets bored sometimes and likes to play
> with the kiddies minds on c.g.r.r. :)
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

OK, maybe I did miss the point of the thread in question, I bow to Mr.
Tylers far greater knowledge of the persons and processes involved.
However I am not talking about "Toy Story" or "Jurassic Park". Just a three
second clip, on a twenty or thirtieth ranked show on a secondary affiliate
of a third rate network. I don't know how well the analogy holds, but often
a proffessional carpenter will find a quaint little hammer a far more
effective solution to a particular problem than his expensive, and
complicated pneumatic nailer

Steven