POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pentium III compile : Re: Pentium III compile Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:27:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pentium III compile
From: Ron Parker
Date: 1 Jul 1999 09:19:57
Message: <377b6afd@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 01 Jul 1999 02:15:02 -0400, Matt Giwer wrote:
>	But then why not use the floating point package built into the
>P3 instead? Same processor, same speed UNLESS they MMX
>instructions cheat by being less precise?

There would be some utility to the SSE instructions if they weren't
single-precision.  The utility is obvious when you break apart the
nested acronym: SSE stands for Streaming SIMD Extensions.  SIMD,
of course, stands for Single Instruction Multiple Data, which tells
us why SSE would be nice if it had some precision to it: it can do
multiple operations at once.  In the case of the single-precision
stuff they've implemented now, it can do four floating point adds,
multiplies, etc. at the same time.  Think how fast this would make,
say, a dot product or a normalization.  It could be used now for
color calculations, since they're single-precision, but they're
such a small part of what POV does that I'm not sure it would help
enough to be worth the trouble.

One could try making a single-precision-only version of POV and then
putting SSE or 3DNow! instructions into it, but I'm inclined to believe
that output quality would suffer.