POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : it might be an idea : Re: it might be an idea Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: it might be an idea
From: Alan Kong
Date: 1 Jul 1999 02:53:18
Message: <377b0a5e.492178147@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 16:54:51 +0200, Marc Schimmler
<sch### [at] icauni-stuttgartde> wrote:

>During the last advertising of the IRTC CD-ROM by Chris Cason Greg M.
>Johnson suggested a very good idea (my opinion). He asked if it would be
>also helping povray.org if the povray users would place their homepages
>on povray.org and allowed some advertising. Chris seemed to be
>interested but no response came!

  Hi, Marc. Thanks for mentioning Chris' post. If I had web pages and had to
pay my ISP for the space on their servers I'd rather pay the money for space
on the POV-Ray server and help support it at the same time. It just makes
sense!

  People shouldn't be surprised to learn that the system that hosts these
newsgroups and povray.org wasn't donated to the POV-Team by some generous
benefactor. Neither are the developer tools that the POV-Team uses to bring
us our beloved POV-Ray. It just seems ironic that the POV-Team must spend
its own money, sometimes hundreds of dollars, to bring us a *freeware*
product. No one on the POV-Team is aiming to get rich. That's not why they
are involved with POV-Ray. They would just like to be able to get closer to
breaking even.

  If anyone else would be interested in purchasing web space why don't we
let Chris know so that he can determine whether this is worth his time, in
terms of the number of potential customers that frequent this newsgroup.
Count me in.

--
Alan
news.povray.org - where POV-Ray enthusiasts around the world can get