POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New macros: spherical/cylindrical brick textures : Re: New macros: spherical/cylindrical brick textures Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New macros: spherical/cylindrical brick textures
From: Jeff Lee
Date: 30 Jun 1999 18:46:50
Message: <377a9e5a@news.povray.org>
par### [at] fwicom (Ron Parker) wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:24:25 GMT, Jeff Lee wrote:
>
>> I certainly don't think they're being
>> unreasonable, but then again, I'm a computer programmer who has had code
>> used without permission -- or credit -- by others who didn't have the
>> decency to *ask*.
>
> Whoa!  Didn't mean to incite a flamewar here.

Sorry about that, I guess I'm a bit touchy on that subject.  Once
burned, twice disgruntled, or something like that.

> I just wondered what made you decide on the license you did rather than
> using something like the GPL or BSD licenses or, as I unwittingly did,
> completely omitting any licensing language.

Fair enough.

> I'm certainly not advocating stealing IP, as
> Yahoo! seems to be doing, and I have no problem working within the
> constraints of whatever licensing scheme the POV-Team wants to construct,
> but at the same time I wish the constraints were a tad looser.

Which bits do you feel are too restrictive?  I read the whole thing when
I started using it, and didn't find anything I thought was unreasonable.

>> Is the FTP server acting up again?  If so, I'll move it to my Web
>> directories and change the link to HTTP access.
>
> I did finally get it.  It was just slow. Obviously a lot of people wanted
> it all at once. :)  It really is quite nicely done.

Thanks.

>> I have tried, based on your response to my question about that very
>> problem, but was unable to get it working.  The macros are... somewhat
>> ugly, unfortunately, and will require a complete rewrite in order to
>> make this method implementable.
>
> Hm... maybe if I get bored with all my other POV projects I'll see if I
> can mess with yours. :)  I read through it and it looks quite readable,
> by comparison with e.g. my torus spline macro.

Well, that's a bit of a relief, then.  I usually try to make my stuff
readable (since I've had to work on other people's legacy code), but on
this one I was just concentrating on getting it to work.

--
Jeff Lee         shi### [at] gatenet         http://www.gate.net/~shipbrk/