POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The copious free time of the POV-Ray group : Re: The copious free time of the POV-Ray group Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The copious free time of the POV-Ray group
From: Twyst
Date: 30 Jun 1999 12:22:28
Message: <377a4444@news.povray.org>
Matt Giwer <mgi### [at] giwersworldorg> wrote in message
> > See the thread below from this group about this subject. It was
discussed
> > in some detail.
> >
> >     Subject:  Check this out!!!
> >        Date:  Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:44:26 -0500
> >        From:  Anthony Bennett <ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet>
> >  Newsgroups: povray.general
>
> Thanks, the wheel has been rediscovered.
>
> So what is needed is the equation for the intersection of a line
> and this thing. That should be the same as for the intersection
> of a line and a common torus simply extended for n not equal to
> 2. I'll put looking into that on my to do stack.

Actually, I was looking into this last night. I have some basic pov code -
but be warned, it DOES NOT work properly.  depending on the values, it only
shows quarter of a torus, due to degenerate triangles. (warning! do NOT put
spheres at the vertices for values that give you degen. triangles. That's a
REALLY good way to lock up Pov. )

The code that I have is here: http://24.108.7.134/supertoroid.pov

Also, looking into the pov code, the torii that are used in pov are actually
4th order polys, so modifying that isn't as easy as you would think.

I even thought of adding another keyword to the torus code.....

Twyst