POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : #declared Object Usage : Re: #declared Object Usage Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:11:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #declared Object Usage
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 2 Jul 1999 10:16:38
Message: <377CCC92.8477DC6F@ledanet.com.au>
Ken wrote:

>   When did this become legal syntax and why ?
>
> #declare B = box {-1,1}
>
>   I have always been under the impression a declared object needed
> to be wrapped in an object statment to work properly.
>
> e.g. object {B}

Specifying an untransformed object identifier without the wrapper used
to be legal in POV-Ray 3.0, and I actually used it in a few sample
scenes for various include files.  When I started testing the files in
the early 3.1 beta versions, though, POV-Ray would give a fatal message
about a "lone R-Value".  Obviously, somewhere along the way this was
changed back to the previous flexibility... ours not to wonder why?!