POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New Geocities/Yahoo policies : Re: New Geocities/Yahoo policies Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Geocities/Yahoo policies
From: Mrs Beasley
Date: 1 Jul 1999 22:35:07
Message: <377C2497.B3D01274@ask.me>
True, that's why I keep my webpage on my local ISP.
However, if you read the terms of service (TOS) for a lot of those "free"
site hosts (Tripod, XOOM.com, etc.) they have the same type of  wording.  As
a matter of fact, if you read the TOS for Tripod and XOOM the wording is
almost identical to that of Yahoo.  One of the few places I've seen so far
that _doesn't_  have terms like this is Fortunecity.  If anyone knows of
other places chime in; maybe someone can start a list (I'll volunteer) and
make the list available periodically here or on a website.  Just a thought.
: )

I've found the best use of Yahoo mail is a dumping ground for junk mail.
Unfortunately there are sites out there that make you register with an email
address etc.  (Sun's JDC, ZDU etc)  I use the "free" service so my local ISP
isn't deluged with those messages.

Later,
Donna

Jerry wrote:

> In article <377B9CC0.346D5D38@omit-this.yahoo.com>, Mrs Beasley
> <non### [at] omit-thisyahoocom> wrote:
>
> >In case anyone hasn't heard:
> >As expected, Yahoo changed it's terms regarding Geocities.  Read the
> >entire article at
> >http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/20518.html
> >In a nutshell, they are now saying "Yahoo does not own content you
> >submit.".
>
> Yeah, but they're still saying that you grant them unlimited perpetual
> right to use and sublicense what you submit. It still contains the
> following:
>
>              By submitting Content to any Yahoo property, you
> automatically grant, or warrant that the owner of such
>              Content has expressly granted, Yahoo the royalty-free,
> perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and
>              fully sublicensable right and license to use, reproduce,
> modify, adapt, publish, translate, create
>              derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such
> Content (in whole or part) worldwide
>              and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media,
> or technology now known or later
>              developed.
>
> With those rights, who needs ownership?
>
> See http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ in section 8.
>
> Jerry

New Office Terms for the '90s

Latest terms to add to your vocabulary in the late 90s
office environment...

Assmosis - The process by which some people seem to
absorb success and advancement by kissing up to the boss.

Seagull Manager - A manager who flies in, makes a lot
of noise, shits over everything and then leaves.

Ohnosecond - That minuscule fraction of time in which
you realize that you've just made a BIG mistake.

Umfriend - A sexual relation of dubious standing or a
concealed intimate relationship, as in "This is Dyan,
my...um... friend."