POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : it might be an idea : Re: it might be an idea Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: it might be an idea
From: TonyB
Date: 1 Jul 1999 16:31:47
Message: <377BC242.835549F0@panama.phoenix.net>
> I am open to the idea of doing this, provided it was worthwhile.

It is. =) For you and us.

> I own the domain 'raytrace.com' which I could use for hosting. i.e. you could
> have 'yourname.raytrace.com', or 'www.raytrace.com/yourname', depending on the
> type of server you want (a full virtual server like the former would cost
> more). The pages would be physically located on the POV-Ray server.

I prefer the idea of 'myname.povray.org', but that other one sounds good too.

> But it's not worthwhile unless I get some idea of how many folks would pay for
> this, how much they'd be willing to pay for setup, and how much per month
> they'd pay.

I think step one is to make a survey and get a list of names of people that are
100% sure they want a webpage there. Based on the amount of people versus the cost
of this project, we figure out a price that meets the project's goals, and makes
the interested parties happy. Since I am sure there will be LOTS of interested
people, the price won't be a real problem for anybody.

> We can't compete against the 'free' web sites, and wouldn't even be competitive
> against most of the non-free ones, but at least in the process you'll get an
> ad-free ad popup-free web site and help fund this system at the same time.

This isn't about competing, that's pretty clear here (I hope). This is about people
who love creating raytraced art/images and like working and contributing together.
I think this project should break even, except for a certain amount going to the
POV-Team, who really deserves it after all these years, especially to keep the ball
rolling and the team up-to-date with all the latest programmer tools they need. =)

--
Anthony L. Bennett
http://welcome.to/TonyB

Graphics rendered