POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pentium III compile : Re: Pentium III compile Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pentium III compile
From: Dick Balaska
Date: 30 Jun 1999 20:53:40
Message: <377ABBF4.B6D499B3@buckosoft.com>
Ken wrote:

> Glen Berry wrote:

Yeah!  I'm impressed too.  I'm also pissed because i never got this VC++6
service pack.  None of those Q* numbers show up in my database.
I do have 3 copies of Windows2000 though, so i guess i should be happy.

> Note: I have never personaly obtained free data from Intel and their
>       policies may differ from my own experience with other reputable
>       IC and component manufacturers.

I used to get big black Intel books quite often.  About the time of the 80386
though, they started a policy of "The bigger the chip, the less docs".
The data was great except the (printed) sample code which would inevitably
contain symbols like frodo, bilbo, etc., very hard to follow.  I'm sure that
is against corporate policy now.
Pulling errata from them though is impossible.  My company once bought 5000
82380 FIFOs, when Intel knew the pieces of carp were broken. (same chip as
used in the 3COM 3C507, a network card not supported by the Linux stock kernel.)
And of course they denied the two big Pentium bugs until forced.

I still have my big yellow TI 74xx book (hardcover!)

dik