POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : it might be an idea : Re: it might be an idea Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: it might be an idea
From: TonyB
Date: 30 Jun 1999 17:41:36
Message: <377A8121.E76A4743@panama.phoenix.net>
I would be honored to have my website on the povray.org server. I would
regret the extra work involved for the administrator of the site, so I
suggest that anyone seriously willing to take this project further create a
team to handle the webpages, and the hard drive space required for them. The
bandwith would also have to be expanded. That's a lot of money involved. I
also think that there would be a great demand and many people would put up
pointless webpages, or just use it for storage space, which is regretable.
Perhaps a select few, or a limited ammount of people (say 100) could be
allowed a personal space. I think this would add a new log to the strong
kindling fire that POV is, and would further unite this community. People I
would see as automatically elegible are:

a) Great contributors, like Ron Parker.
b) Great helpers, like Ken Tyler.
c) Great artists and winners of the IRTC, like H.E. Day and Nathan O'Brien.

I personally have my page on Xoom. They have already started to suck, now
that they have that stupid banner on the top of each page (which sometimes
ruins them completely). I would like to move to a place where I can have
5-10MB of space, and put commercials up any way I want them, preferably on
the bottom of my pages, in an elegant, discreet manner instead of pop-ups.

Those are my 2 centavos. I am in no way opposed to the project, as long as
it is completed in an organised fashion, and I can get my website on
povray.org. =)

P.S.: A small suggestion I have is to give users addresses like
"tonyb.povray.org", or "parkerr.povray.org", in short, no
"www.povray.org/tonyb". The name of course, should be chosen by the person
who wants the page.

--
Anthony L. Bennett U.