POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A bit OT: Can vision change over a day? : Re: A bit OT: Can vision change over a day? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:16:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A bit OT: Can vision change over a day?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 30 Jun 1999 14:00:04
Message: <3779ab0c.3786598@204.213.191.228>
On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:17:25 -0400, Simon de Vet <sde### [at] istarca>
wrote:

>Oh, great gods of all things visual, I present you a question! :)
>
>Last night I started rendering a pic. At the time I went to bed, it was
>about 1/3 finished, and looked good. Shadows, but not too dark, and
>great colour balance.
>
>Now, this morning, about 30 min after getting up, I take a look at the
>pic. Now, the shadows are almost fully black, and the colours looks
>garish. Even the 1/3 that I had seen last night.
>
>So.. does vision change over the course of a day? Do I get more contrast
>early in the morning than late at night? The lighting conditions in the
>room and the settings of my monitor did not change.
>
>Very odd.. scared me, too. Looked like my pic was ruined. Hope it looks
>better when I come home this afternoon :)
>
>Simon
>http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet

 I think you are seeing the same phenomenon as when looking out your
lit room into the night and the glass is very reflective. Basically,
when it's dark, the light is coming mostly from the screen, and when
it's day some inevitable reflections (5-10%) are visible, even with
the best glare filter etc. That's the reason why PhotoShop asks about
the ambient lightning when setting up display properties. A rule of
thumb I use is to only set up textures and lightning at an
illuminaition level just fine for reading, no more, no less (as this
is the typical set-up in offices and desks at home), and the light
*must* be white.

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700