POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A bit OT: Can vision change over a day? : Re: A bit OT: Can vision change over a day? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:12:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A bit OT: Can vision change over a day?
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 29 Jun 1999 16:39:53
Message: <37792F2C.BD054FEA@giwersworld.org>
> Oh, great gods of all things visual, I present you a question! :)

> Last night I started rendering a pic. At the time I went to bed, it was
> about 1/3 finished, and looked good. Shadows, but not too dark, and
> great colour balance.

> Now, this morning, about 30 min after getting up, I take a look at the
> pic. Now, the shadows are almost fully black, and the colours looks
> garish. Even the 1/3 that I had seen last night.

> So.. does vision change over the course of a day? Do I get more contrast
> early in the morning than late at night? The lighting conditions in the
> room and the settings of my monitor did not change.

	No sunlight? Color balance matters as well as angle to the
screen meaning a glare filter could solve the problem.

> Very odd.. scared me, too. Looked like my pic was ruined. Hope it looks
> better when I come home this afternoon :)

	After eliminating everything else and it is your eyes, a doctor
is in order. But first look up that vitamin that is needed for
color vision and try it. (D?, carotene)

	Is the monitor aging? drifting on its own? Try to duplicate it.
Leave it on all night? If you can't duplicate it forget it.

	Also consider that at night your eyes were reacting to a 2/3
black screen so even the dim areas would stand out. The final
scene not having that black screen is going to see the scene
differently

	I work from noon some times to dawn, most every lighting
condition. The only thing similar (not nearly the degree you
imply and only lasting minutes) lead me to get some small
flurescents in the room lamps and leave them on all night.

--
<blink>-------please--don't-----------------</blink>

http://www.giwersworld.org/artsii/

Finally up on 99/06/22 updated 06/28