POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media + Output_Alpha = ? : Re: Media + Output_Alpha = ? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media + Output_Alpha = ?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 28 Jun 1999 16:55:39
Message: <3777e084.21375080@204.213.191.228>
On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 20:46:27 +0200, "Ole Laursen"
<98z### [at] aalborghusdk> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Have anyone here succeded in producing a TGA with alpha channel of a scene
>with a media object?
>
>I can't get it to work; if I place the media inside a sphere with the
>pigment "rgbt 1", nothing show up in the alpha channel. If I use the
>pigment "rgbf 1", a totally solid circle show up.

>Is it my head or is it POV-Ray that is broken? I need the alpha channel for
>an explosion in a game.
>
>Ole Laursen - http://sunsite.auc.dk/olau/
>ARRGGH! IT'S ALIVE!

Sorry, POV's alpha is not affected by media, fog, radiosity, focal
blur, reflection, refraction, interior fade_distance... In fact it
only shows if an object has been hit or not plus any anti-aliasing.
Maybe filter works, too, but I am not sure.

To solve your problem cut'n'paste your scene in a new file and make it
black and white, i.e. design the alpha channel yourself. Since you're
using media it should be quite easy. If this will help you, the
formula used to convert rgb to grayscale is:

gray = 0.30*r + 0.59*g + 0.11*b

HTH

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700