POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : normal calculation : normal calculation Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:11:18 EDT (-0400)
  normal calculation
From: Andreas Gerdes
Date: 27 Jun 1999 09:53:03
Message: <37762cbf@news.povray.org>
Hi
when calculating the normals of a smooth_triangle, POV Help tells me that
"Generally the smoothed normal should be the average of all the actual
normals of the triangles which share that point".

Does that mean, that I simply have to add these normals and divide them by
their number? Is the average of some vectors such a simple thing, and why
then do MY smooth_triangles look so sadly wrong?
Are their special things to care about while calculating normals, width of
angles or such?
Short question, does anyone know about some simple-case-tutorial/faq
concerning  triangle or mesh calculation? Some source-code would do, too, I
am for now working on a rounded "Icosaede" (didn't find the english
translation, the platonic shape made of 20 equal triangles).

Thanks for your hints
Andreas
ger### [at] netcologneNOSPAMde