POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PoV World Map update : Re: PoV World Map update Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:28:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoV World Map update
From: Bob
Date: 27 Jun 1999 02:25:02
Message: <3775C3A7.D488E03E@aol.com>
My mistake. Ottawa is the marker you see NE of Toronto (or those double dots) and
there
are actually two markers there as I had said, so that is true anyway. Those two close
markers near or at Toronto is a mystery. I have searched this thing out and found
nothing to explain the second one. The other is Mississauga and should be correct.
Only
other marker position that comes close would be Buffalo New York, south of Lake
Ontario.

Bob wrote:

> No, you're not seeing things. That's two (yes, 2) close neighbors of yours in
Ottawa.
> About the listing of persons and related info: despite some people willing to share
> their info I can't see it as feasible. Many did not leave email addresses for one
thing.
> I've thought this same thing over several times with the conclusion it is too messy
> proposition as is. It would either (1.) require a resubmittal/contact by all or (2.)
> only be partial info for sending out/posting. The prime importance would be the
> acquisition of everyones permission to redistribute. If I had the forethought to do
so I
> would have asked also for the right to hand over all of it to anyone else and I did
not.
> Sending it out to everyone with a supplied email address isn't totally out of the
> question I would think, I just hate the idea of trying that since part of the reason
> some people may have participated to begin with was due to a single person (me)
being
> sole caretaker of their information. I could be completely wrong, but hey like I
say,
> there isn't a reasonable way to find out or unless a partial set were to be done (or
> redone, as the case may be) and I'm not really doing any more than gathering and
> updating. Sorry folks, the main reason I'm putting it this way is due to other
things
> I've heard about people not wanting their personal info spread around, plus the fact
it
> would be another task to start sorting in a way altogether different from the
current
> one.
> The concept of internet technology demographics and the plotting on this particular
map
> is a interesting one. To me only some places make sense and others do not. Not only
> that, but the oddity (irony?) of some clusters of people very close to each other is
> moreso fascinating. We would probably have to see the exact cultural settings to
make a
> judgement. In my particular instance there are 3 locales plotted nearly in the same
> place (including myself) and it is a region where the NASA space program, among
other
> such high-tech things, are occupants also of this area. Yet I do not have any
ability to
> say a similar thing of other places.
>
> Guess what... No. Okay, I'll tell you then. That Macapa, Brazil marker is an error.
Now

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe