POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Identifying engine version : Identifying engine version Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Identifying engine version
From: Peter Houston
Date: 21 Jun 1999 15:10:10
Message: <376e8e12@news.povray.org>
Is there any way to identify in the scene files what version of POV is being
used ?

What I'm getting at is if a scene is rendered using either SuperPatch, UVPov
or the official release can it identify what the engine is and thus  trigger
events.

What I would like to do is write one scene that could use photons but if
UVPov is not used it will still render without errors just ignoring the
photon commands.

I know it can be done with a declared variable and #if switches but this
requires the scene being edited before rendering.

If this can't be done currently, would this be useful enough to be suggested
for future inclusion in the official version and all future patches ?

A keyword "engine" could be defined internally that would equate to a string
e.g.. 3.1e Official, 3.1e Superpatch, 3.1e UVPov etc. this could then be
used in switches.

Regards,

Peter H.

[ Peter Houston               ICQ# 8770407              Houston Graphics ]
[ Hou### [at] inamecom           http://welcome.to/HoustonGraphics ]