POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Letter to Artists : Re: A Letter to Artists Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Letter to Artists
From: Glen Berry
Date: 18 Jun 1999 05:37:01
Message: <376e0ecb.142935847@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 01:49:00 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>  One of the best photographs I have ever taken was of a barn in the country.
>This barn was in a serious state of disrepair and was anything but beautiful.
>Even with this going against it many I have shown the photo to agree that it
>a very beautiful picture. I believe this supports your claim there is beauty
>in ugly things and it is truly in the eyes of the beholder.

Yes, and there is also important beauty that is surrounded by,
seemingly inseparable from, and sometimes created from ugliness. For
example, in the movie "Schindler's List" there is the beautiful
concept of wanting to save the lives of fellow human beings displayed
against the harsh and ugly backdrop of war. Would we really appreciate
Mr Schindler's desire to see his fellow man be allowed to live in
peace quite so much, if it were not displayed against such an ugly
backdrop as that war? I think not. The "ugliness" of the movie is
arguably required in this case. The film's value as a work of art is
enhanced by the inclusion. I doubt that many people would call this a
pretty film, but many have called it an important film, and one of
high artistic merit.

Later,
Glen Berry

Trivia: When I get on the elevator that takes me to my internet
provider's third floor office, I notice it was made by the Schindler
company. I suppose the British would call this "Schindler's Lift".