POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help - using rgb colors with triangles : Re: Help - using rgb colors with triangles Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:09:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help - using rgb colors with triangles
From: Glen Berry
Date: 19 Jun 1999 22:00:15
Message: <376d4a12.26452409@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 17:40:57 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>David Arcoleo wrote:
>>
>> Thank you.  I already have everything in a mesh, and it is more
>> efficient that way.  However, because I'm using tens/hundreds of
>> thousands of triangles (I'm converting Mathematica-based graphics to
>> povray) I would like to be able to define the pigment on the same line
>> as the triangle, and thus avoid #declaring thousands of textures.  Is
>> this possible in a mesh?
>>
>> -Dave
>
>No I am afraid that simply is just not possible.

Why not? I have seen mesh files where each triangle had a unique
pigment definition. Each line of the mesh file had a triangle
definition followed by a pigment definition. This makes for a much
larger mesh file, and it takes longer to parse than an uncolored mesh,
but it does work. One doesn't *have* to #declare pigments or textures
in advance if using something like "rgb <0.8, 0.4, 0.2>" to define the
colors on each line is acceptable.

Later,
Glen Berry