POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help - using rgb colors with triangles : Re: Help - using rgb colors with triangles Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help - using rgb colors with triangles
From: Glen Berry
Date: 20 Jun 1999 05:27:41
Message: <376cb242.305187@news.povray.org>
On 20 Jun 1999 04:13:41 -0400, Nieminen Mika <war### [at] cctutfi> wrote:

>  As Ken replied, it's not possible.
>  However, I can hardly believe that you had to declare a pigment for each
>triangle. I don't think each triangle has a unique color. Those meshes you
>are describing sound to me like they had just a few hundreds of colors.

I just tried to create a "colored mesh" and Ken was right in one
sense. I couldn't create a colored mesh using the "mesh" keyword, but
I could create the equivalent structure using a union of triangles. I
randomly colored an 8Meg mesh file to test this. It took *much* longer
to parse and required much more memory to render than the uncolored
version.

In the past I have seen meshes that had pigment statements for each
triangle. I suppose those were unions of triangles instead of POV-Ray
mesh objects. It's been a while since I saw a file like I'm thinking
about and it might have been before the "mesh" keyword was added to
the POV language.

Sorry for any confusion caused by earlier statement. You *can* have
individually colored triangles, but not as a POV "mesh" object.

Later,
Glen Berry