POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help - using rgb colors with triangles : Re: Help - using rgb colors with triangles Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:21:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help - using rgb colors with triangles
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 20 Jun 1999 04:09:39
Message: <376ca1c3@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
: I disagree with your statement. I just ran three tests of unions vs. meshs
: of triangles and the unions in all three cases parsed and rendered faster.
: Meshs seem to only have the advantage of memory optimization when using
: multiple copies of the same mesh object.

  This test seems extremely strange since my experience states the contrary.
  The lparser program produces a union of triangles. The parsing time
usually blows up in the "creating light buffers" stage (several minutes
in my old 486; not tested in my new P-II). Substituting "union" with "mesh"
reduced that stage to seconds.
  Also the faster rendering time seems strange since AFAIK povray generates
an efficient octree (or a similar data structure) from the mesh while it
can't do that with a union of objects. Testing ray-triangle intersections
is much more faster with that kind of data structure.
  I have to test this by myself...