POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Letter to Artists : Re: A Letter to Artists Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Letter to Artists
From: ingo
Date: 18 Jun 1999 21:17:28
Message: <376aefa8@news.povray.org>
Margus Ramst heeft geschreven in bericht <376aac53@news.povray.org>...

>You have your standards. I have my standards.
Yes, Yes.

>There will never be global standards, no ISO or ANSI, regardless of how much we
>may debate.
No standards!  Although....

>Art for one, crap for another. Is crap art? Are we art? Is art art?
First you'll have to get rid of personal taste, then study some more work of the
artist, read about an artist. Maybe do some art history/theory classes. After
that, you can answer these questions for your self.(I guess you already did?)
I discuss these things somtimes with my collegues at work. First thing they say:
Uhh modern art, my three year old grand daughter can paint better. What almost
always strikes me is that most people don't want to invest times or efford in
something like this (not only art, but just learning/thinking things). They come
home after work, sit on the coutch, zap from Jerry Springer to the weather
forcast to the late night entertainment, and are happy with it.

Even if you let personal taste slip in, there are big groups of people with
simmilar backgrounds with whom it's very good possible to discuss art in this
way. Take the people frequenting this part of the net. Ask them to name a
favorite artist. Escher wil probably be No. 1 followed by Da Vinci. Name some
(sf)writers: Asimov, Adams, Heinlein, Herbert, Tolkien etc. Your favorite
software: .... Enough commom ground for discussion.

The goal would not be setting standards, but learning other points of view. They
might change your own view, or help develop these.

>Is my art better than your art? etc etc etc ad nauseam.
With some knowledge (more than I have at the moment), yes, you can distinguish
quality in art.

have a good night,

ingo
--
Met dank aan de muze met het glazen oog.