POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SuperPatch: Is it for me? : Re: SuperPatch: Is it for me? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:21:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SuperPatch: Is it for me?
From: Ken
Date: 21 Jun 1999 14:23:55
Message: <376E82D7.4DA5E3E1@pacbell.net>
Bill DeWitt wrote:

>     Well, maybe there -are- some features I would use...  I don't understand
> SOR or matrix, but 'more characters'... I  can grasp that...

Bill,

  SOR's are very easy to understand. To understand them picture yourself
holding a piece of string between your two hands. Give it some slack and
start spinning it. The outline it produces is a SOR object. In pov you
draw the string with a set of 2D coordinates and the program draws the
lines between them and takes care of spinning it for you to create a 3D
object.
  Defining the 2D points takes a little practice but does not require
any heavy math. It requires more a sense of defining locations in space
than math. The program offers different "spline" types to help you get
smoother curves without having to define a lot of individual points to
achieve the same results.

  The Matrix on the other hand is very heady stuff which go beyond my
own comprehension even after reading several explanations of it. Matrix
equations are taught in advanced math classes so if basic algebra
is your speed then you might not get it either. Don't feel you are a
minority in this regard because you are not. At least with me around
anyway.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net