POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mesh vs. union of triangles speed comparison : Re: mesh vs. union of triangles speed comparison Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh vs. union of triangles speed comparison
From: Ken
Date: 21 Jun 1999 01:36:27
Message: <376DCF1C.9BD5D2A0@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

>   As a result of a discussion about rendering speed of meshes and unions of
> triangles, I made this test.
>
>   * The result:

  I question the validity of your test results. Not for the reporting
of the final results as I am sure you have reported them accurately but
the method used to obtain them is in doubt.
  When I ran my test I was using physically based text files filled
with triangles. Yours triangles were produced using while loops. I
personally think that using the program to produce the triangle union/
mesh object can and will directly affect the speed of processing the
file in both parsing times and calculation times. Simply reading a
text file and computing the position of each triangle will impact the
results much less.
  Am I correct in these assumptions or should I go bury my head
somewhere ?

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net