POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help - using rgb colors with triangles : Re: Help - using rgb colors with triangles Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:14:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help - using rgb colors with triangles
From: Ken
Date: 20 Jun 1999 05:55:35
Message: <376CBA73.D9A8BBD9@pacbell.net>
Glen Berry wrote:

> In the past I have seen meshes that had pigment statements for each
> triangle. I suppose those were unions of triangles instead of POV-Ray
> mesh objects. It's been a while since I saw a file like I'm thinking
> about and it might have been before the "mesh" keyword was added to
> the POV language.

 There were a couple of utilities written for Pov v2.2 that had random
triangle pigment options. Which of these had this feature I can't recall
off hand but they were out there. A similar utility that does come to
mind was the utility called Suds which may have been used for the original
Pov v3.0 splash screen. This program spit out randomly scaled spheres
and if the rght command line switch was selected it would create a unique
and seperate texture for every sphere it produced in a seperate inc file.
Talk about a memory this one had the market cornered. Another small util
that offered similar abilities was called boxer. It too would produce
indivudualy colored boxes each with a unique randomly determined pigment
statment.

> Sorry for any confusion caused by earlier statement.

Didn't confuse me for a second :-) Like I always say though "To err is Ken".

> You *can* have individually colored triangles, but not as
> a POV "mesh" object.

  But you Can have it in a mesh object IF you pre declare it in a texture
statement and then apply the texture to each triangle. Still you are
correct that is very resource intensive and may not be worth the effort
in very large constructs.

> Later,
> Glen Berry

Asta la bye bye,