POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Letter to Artists : Re: A Letter to Artists Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:24:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Letter to Artists
From: Alain CULOS
Date: 20 Jun 1999 15:02:02
Message: <376C3341.FF344962@bigfoot.com>
Margus Ramst wrote:
<snip>

> It is only because of the dogma of beauty that
> people tend to confine the boundaries of art.

<snip>

I've tried to think about that and I have to disagree.
I think most people confine the boundaries of art to their understanding of
beauty, which is much less than beauty in its whole. That is one point. The
other one being that in my humble opinion some people fail to express their
ideas through beauty and express them through distress, uglyness, torture, ...
all evil stuff. I think evrything can be expressed through beauty of some sort,
but it might take a considerable extra amount of thinking, skill and energy to
reach such a goal. Yet I am convinced that we should all aim at that.

Take for instance people who tend to be depressive. Almost everyone has been
subject to very negative feelings about oneself, so my thinking should be
understandable.
What is depression ?
Very hard to know, but here is my interpretation of facts : a deep negative
feeling entertained by a thought process that aims at justifying failures - this
only makes things worse.
How to get out of it ?
Very difficult indeed since the process is self supporting (deflating). But to
get out of the dead lock (or the infinite loop) there is only one way : think
forward, think positive even based on negative stimuli. Once you succeed the
first step, the rest come easier. If you just keep thinking positive, you keep
making life easier and nicer to yourself.
What is involved ?
The negative way is the easy answer : just keep doing what you alwys did, that
involves very little effort, but keeps hurting you harder.
The positive way is the difficult one : you just can't stop watching your steps,
you have to work every single second to make it work right, but the reward is
there, fantastically powerful : you're happy.

This is my understanding of beauty in the way the pope describes it : you do not
reject the not so nice art, but you work on achieving nicer art.

More later,
Al.

--
ANTI SPAM / ANTI ARROSAGE COMMERCIAL :

To answer me, please take out the Z from my address.