POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Letter to Artists : Re: A Letter to Artists Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Letter to Artists
From: TonyB
Date: 18 Jun 1999 21:41:01
Message: <376AE70D.4F6F298F@panama.phoenix.net>
[I sent this message earlier, but Netscape didn't. Dang.]

I think the Pope refers to the beauty that art transmits. As you say, beauty
depends on who looks at it and how. For there to be beauty there must be uglyness
to contrast it. Like the barn in Ken's picture. It sends a message, a feeling.
Also, there can be beauty hidden in a seemingly ugly image. Escher has some images
that look kinda ugly, but when you really look at them, when you see all the hard
work in them, when you sit down and look, and think about them, you come back with
a new appreciation for them. You have found the beauty.

Thank you everybody for reading. =) I'm glad you liked it.

PS: There was more material in the letter, but aimed at other fields of art
(music, etc.), and other more Christian/Catholic stuff.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/letters/index.html

(Available in: English, French, German, Italian, Latin, Polish, Portuguese, and
Spanish.)

--
Anthony L. Bennett
http://welcome.to/TonyB