POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Text object : Re: Text object Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:10:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Text object
From: Peter Popov
Date: 15 Jun 1999 00:31:27
Message: <3769d4e0.38769263@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 23:29:26 -0400, "Mike Metheny"
<lon### [at] vtedu> wrote:

>How can I make my text object italic?  Can I?
>
>(Using same font)

Skew it using a matrix transform. Call the first line & column x, the
second ones y and the third one z (the fourth ones are not of interest
here). The cells where these rows and columns  intersect are the
coefficients of linear depenedancy of the function (column) on the
argument (row). That's why the main diagonal should be all 1s, as
x=1*x, y=1*y etc. So if you want to skew it 30 degrees to the right,
assuming the widely used pov LH coord sys, you should
1) keep y intact
2) keep z intact
3) x' = x + y * tan(30)

The 3rd line means: where row x and column x intersect, enter one;
where row x and column y intersect, put tan(30).

I hope this is clear enough; John VanSickle will surely be of more
help, but anyway I felt like doing something good before leaving out
to fail on my exam (in 15 min).

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700