POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tiled Background Images... : Re: Tiled Background Images... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:16:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiled Background Images...
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 16 Jun 1999 20:24:20
Message: <3767016A.ED8F3742@ledanet.com.au>
David Cook wrote:

> FYI, I asked this same question a few weeks ago and was also referred to
> Chris Colefax's code. Turns out that what he does is use a gradient to sort
> of blend the pattern. This kind of works ok if the pattern isn't too
> complex, or if its an even (v.s. an odd) number of regular elements. I
> haven't found a really good solution yet. Please let me know if any of you
> out there have any better suggestions. But even so, my compliments to Chris
> Colefax. This and all of his other work is extraordinarily educational, at
> the least.

Yes, this is exactly what the first version of the Texture Tiler include
file did (ie. use gradient blends), and some patterns don't blend well
this way.  The question, though, is how would you *expect* to blend a
checker pattern that doesn't quite fit into the available space...?

The good news is that the Tile Generator macro file offers plenty of
other blending options.  You could try the new blob tile, which allows
you to blend textures/pigments mapped to tiled blobs, giving a more
"organic" seam.  Or, you could create a layered, random object tile that
includes blue and white boxes (you won't get a regular checker pattern,
but if that's all you want then you don't need the Texture Tiler or Tile
Generator anyway!).