POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tiled Background Images... : Re: Tiled Background Images... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiled Background Images...
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 14 Jun 1999 00:05:30
Message: <37647f8a@news.povray.org>
John Shadow wrote in message <376### [at] usanet>...
>Greetings,
>  Can SOMEONE please help me???  I'm looking for info on how to make
>seamless tiled images, using Pov-Ray to render them....anyone know where
>I can find this info???  I thought I once found it on a web-site or in
>the help file, but alas, that was several months ago, and I've forgotten
>where I read that information, or if I even did in the first
>place...please help if you can..:)

If you want to tile a single existing image file, there is a way of
modifying it so it will seamlessly tile a plane.  Using a paint program,
copy the image.  Then, create a new image with each dimension being twice
that dimension in the original image.  Paste a copy of the original image
into the top-left corner.  Paste another copy in the bottom-left corner, but
flip this copy around the horizontal axis so it is upside-down.  Paste a
third copy in the top-right corner, flipped so it is mirrored around the
vertical axis.  Paste a fourth copy in the remaining corner flipped both
horizontally and vertically.  Save the resulting image.  This image then can
be tiled seamlessly with itself.  A similar variant done entirely in POV-Ray
can be used to make 'infinite' height-fields and similar things.

Mark