POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : silly features : Re: silly features Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:15:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: silly features
From: Bob Crispen
Date: 12 Jun 1999 06:11:37
Message: <376231DD.494F3821@hiwaay.net>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

>   Yeah, interesting.
>
> light_source { ... }
>
> object // Lit by the global light source
> { MyObject1
> }
>
> object // Lit by the global light source and an own light source
> { MyObject2
>   lit_by { light_source { ... } }
> }
[snip]

VRML has a class of lights, DirectionalLights, which are scoped so
as to light all and only the geometry nodes under their own parent,
while all the other lights are global in scope.

I had pushed the "reply" button to say that I thought that this was
an easier syntax than you'd sketched above, but by the time I got
to this sentence, I thought maybe that might be a mistake.  I'm
guessing that nobody's really exercised the hierarchical scene
graph features in POVRay, and that while VRML scenes with 10 levels
of nesting are far from unusual, I've never seen even one that deep
in POVRay.  Putting in something that would motivate people to make
deeply nested scenes could turn out to be a huge opportunity to
generate bug reports.
| Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen        |            "IT FOUND ME!"            |
| cri### [at] hiwaaynet            |      Campus Crusade for Cthulhu      |