POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Nihongo no truetype : Re: Nihongo no truetype Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:13:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nihongo no truetype
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 12 Jun 1999 02:46:02
Message: <37620228.CD5C509F@geocities.com>

> Hi!
>
> Should I have stepped on someone's foot?  Sorry for that. You may be
> right. If you want it explicit - you'll get it.
>
> Ok. So: I'm running a Intel Pentium on Windows 95 and I am quite an
> amateur on rendering. I have installed the MS Office 97 fareast support.
> MS Mincho.ttf it is mainly, the proportional truetype font for japanese
> texts. Using it as a display font is no problem at all. I use POV 3.1 and
> have recently concepted the brilliant idea of bringing two little hobbys
> together. Raytracing and Japanese that is. So far, so good.
>
> Using a pre-processor to encode little passages of text into UNICODE as
> a first try, then JIS, S-JIS, EUC, OldJIS and so on. The best result I could
>
> get was getting the kanjis changed into katakana - some totally different
> part of the font set. I hoped for a workaround for this problem.  {:-(
>
> For your proposal: What "different japanese font". Sadly, the fareast
> support leaves you only with this one.   >:-|
>
> Hasta la vista, baby!
>
>    Heinrich
>
> P.S.: If you have posted your global questions - tell me some of the
>         best answers. Especially the answeres to the latter one!   ;-)

OK. If you installed the Far-east support, you have the font you need _if_ you
have a patch with the Unicode font support.

A stock version of POV-Ray will only get at the first 128 characters. Also, it
will get those from the Mac encoding.

With a Unicode patched version, you can use UTF-8 for the Japanese.

at http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/4453/unipatch/

> global_settings {
>   string_encoding "UTF8" // default
> //  string_encoding "ISO8859_1"
> //  string_encoding "Cp1252"
> //  string_encoding "MacRoman"
> }

So, from looking at that, I can see that the Japanese text needs to be
converted to UTF8.