POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers : Re: Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:13:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers
From: Peter Popov
Date: 5 Jun 1999 17:26:59
Message: <375b93ea.37747640@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 5 Jun 1999 20:35:15 +0300, "Margus Ramst" <mar### [at] peakeduee>
wrote:

>>No, the _plane_ of twirling is perpendicular to this 3-points-defined
>>plane, not the _normal vector_ of the twirl.
>>

>But there can be an infinite number of such planes. You mean the one facing
>the camera?

Maybe the one passing through the point of the surface and the center
of the twirl?

It's getting too complicated here. That was just an idea that popped
into my mind. And you are right, this way it will look weird.

>I believe a user-defined axis of twirl would be the best way to go; I can
>think of no efficient way of taking into account surface topography when
>applying a basically 2D pattern to a 3D surface.

Please see povray.binaries.images for three examples of what I imagine
a twirl warp would look like. And I agree, user defined axis is the
only way. As of surface topography, you can either neglect it or use
uv mapping. How should media issues be addressed in this context, I
don't know. Perhaps someone else does.

>Margus

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700