POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers : Re: Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:15:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 6 Jun 1999 13:51:29
Message: <375ab3be.31548962@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 06 Jun 1999 12:13:03 -0500, Chris Huff
<Chr### [at] compuservecom> wrote:

>Hmm, this has probably been thought of already, but a tile_texture
>keyword might be nice. It would repeat the texture in the cube from
><0,0,0> to <1,1,1> through space, flipping every other one around to
>make a nice tiling pattern.(not smoothly tiling, but it would make a
>nice effect with some textures.) Also a tile_texture2 which would use
>different squares for each tile or tile group, so the exact same thing
>doesn't repeat every time. I know it is possible to do this with the
>current version, but having a keyword to do it would be nice and
>probably faster rendering.

I'm not sure about the 'faster rendering' part.  Maybe a little, but
not any noticeable amount.  Why not just make a macro?

#macro Tile_Texture( Repeat_Vector )
  warp {repeat Repeat_Vector.x*x flip x}
  warp {repeat Repeat_Vector.y*y flip y}
  warp {repeat Repeat_Vector.z*z flip z}