POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Not-so-smooth height_field in POV 3.1 : Re: Not-so-smooth height_field in POV 3.1 Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:14:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not-so-smooth height_field in POV 3.1
From: Lummox JR
Date: 9 Jun 1999 20:11:28
Message: <375F0333.5CA9@aol.com>
Bob wrote:

> Hmmm, not according to Ron Parker and the POV-Ray Scene help (from what I can make
out
> of about it). Seems it is 2 triangles per 4 pixels. Of course if you mean that a
pixel
> is apparently divided in two by a pair of triangles I guess that would be correct.
> Please have a look at Rons fine explanation at the p.t.s-f. newsgroup in reply to my
> "What is it? HF checkers" post if you haven't already. And actually the POV Help
file
> does a good job as well, I just fail to understand things easily.

Well yes, more aptly it's really 2 triangles per 4-pixel group, not per
pixel. But when you consider that all but the edge pixels are part of 4
different groups, for large height fields it's close enough to 2
triangles per pixel as to make little difference.
I thought his mention of the bicubic idea was interesting, but still
more interesting was Peter Popov's response to that, suggesting bicubic
interpolation--similar to what I'd mentioned.