POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Not-so-smooth height_field in POV 3.1 : Re: Not-so-smooth height_field in POV 3.1 Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:10:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not-so-smooth height_field in POV 3.1
From: Lummox JR
Date: 7 Jun 1999 13:26:57
Message: <375C0161.4913@aol.com>
Ken wrote:
>  Personaly I believe some simple adjustments to the finish statement itself
> would resolve this problem. If you have a high diffused value specified then
> you will of course have some portion of the HF object somewhere sending light
> back towards the camera. Back off on the the diffuse value and pick up the
> difference with an ambient component. Phong and specular highlights will also
> cause this problem to occur. I don't see a need for these with sand though
> and if present should be eliminated.

One would think that would fix it, but nope, I've tried everything.
Taking out too much of the diffuse value and putting in more ambient
makes the picture worse, because even though it helps with the square
effect, there is no longer any appearance of decent shading on the
dunes. Shading the dunes correctly is important to me; but the
pixelation simply shouldn't be happening at all.
Phong and specular are not used. I did try to alter the brilliance
value, but either I run across the problem above of too little shading,
or else the contrast becomes even greater.

Lummox JR