POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers : Re: Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 5 Jun 1999 14:03:54
Message: <37596573.39284851@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 05 Jun 1999 17:51:27 GMT, pet### [at] usanet (Peter Popov)
wrote:

>The optional falloff function should specify what law is applied to
>map distance from the nearest vertex (edge? How exactly does crackle
>work? I think it's vertex) to position in the map (color_map,
>texture_map, /etc)

It uses the difference between the distance to the closest point and
the distance to the second-closest point, which is twice the distance
from the edge equidistant between the two points.

You're right, a 2d version would be quite a bit faster, as it wouldn't
have to precalculate as many centers for each point.  The crystalline
version you propose would be faster yet, as it wouldn't have to
calculate any centers at all after the parsing stage.