POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers : Re: Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 5 Jun 1999 13:37:39
Message: <37596063@netplex.aussie.org>
Peter Popov wrote in message <375a9e93.26520084@news.povray.org>...

>No, the _plane_ of twirling is perpendicular to this 3-points-defined
>plane, not the _normal vector_ of the twirl.

But there can be an infinite number of such planes. You mean the one facing
the camera?
OK, but this would still look weird if the surface is at a shallow angle
towards the camera, i.e. the axis of rotation is near-parallel to the
surface. Since the warp would actually still be cylindrical, this would
result in a blocky gradient displacement of colur, not a "whirlpool"
pattern.
I believe a user-defined axis of twirl would be the best way to go; I can
think of no efficient way of taking into account surface topography when
applying a basically 2D pattern to a 3D surface.

Margus