POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers : Re: Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions: patterns, warps, modifiers
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 4 Jun 1999 17:12:46
Message: <3758414e@netplex.aussie.org>
Peter Popov wrote in message <3755fdc2.38371480@news.povray.org>...

>You are right.
>
>How about... if all falloff functions can have an optional axis
>specified? The values will then fall off in one direction, i.e. the
>equipotential surfaces will be planes as opposed to spheres. All we
>need is take a projection of the vector from the center of the
>"whatever we are modifying the falloff of" to the point in question
>and project it onto the axis (do a dot product with the normalised
>axis vector)?

Thet might do the trick on more-or-less planar surfaces. But when the
surface has steep curvature, I imagine you would see a strange pattern since
the amount of twirl is different at different heights. Hmm... The spiral
would start curving back towards the original position as the twirl falls
off... I think.

>Maybe. If the plane of twirling is the plane through the center of the
>twirl and perpendicular to the plane defined by the current camera ray
>and twirl center.

Reread the sentence and say it isn't confusing :) I believe I'm rephrasing
what you said, but here's how I imagine it. The twirl plane would be defined
by 3 points: camera location, warp center and current intersection point.
Twirl axis - the normal vector of this plane.
The question is, how would this behave in an animation?

Margus