POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Nearly OT : VERY small raytracers (C64 project :) : Re: Nearly OT : VERY small raytracers (C64 project :) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nearly OT : VERY small raytracers (C64 project :)
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 3 Jun 1999 22:09:56
Message: <3757278C.D289C1FE@mailbag.com>
Rick wrote:

> wrong NG i know! but hey :P
>
> I have a pet project on the go, a small raytracer that will fit on a C64 and
> render a simple scene, 3 spheres and a plane!
>
> I am looking for code to small raytracers, 4k demo entries and any guides to
> making a very simple stripped down, bare bones raytracer
>
> There are conciderable platform limitations, I only have about 40k to play
> with and 1mhz cpu to do it with, not to mention 16 whole cols, and an
> incedably low graphics resoloution.
>
> Any help?
>
> Rick

My housemate wrote a ray tracer in BASIC for the C-64 many years ago.
Greyscale, only did planes.  Not sure whether he has the code anywhere,
though he did stumble across some printouts a few months back, which he
showed off with great pride.

Graphics Gems IV has the C code for a minimal ray-tracer.  It's written
in C and runs just over two pages.  Unfortunately, it gives absolutely
no consideration to speed, since most ray-tracing optimization
techniques ultimately involve a space-time tradeoff, and they were
shooting for minimal space.  Still, it's a place to start.  The source
code is included in an archive that can be found at
http://www.acm.org/tog/GraphicsGems/gemsiv.zip

--
Mark Gordon
mtg### [at] povrayorg