POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : on-line rendering ..... : Re: on-line rendering ..... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:12:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: on-line rendering .....
From: Mikael Carneholm
Date: 3 Jun 1999 08:59:50
Message: <37566D8B.A1F8DA0D@ida.utb.hb.se>
Mike Weber wrote:

> Does anyone know if a server exists on the web that I can send it a .pov
> file for it to render??

Me and a fellow student was actually discussing to do such an application as
our examination project, where I would do the client part in Delphi (to run
on Windows PC:s) and he would do the server part in C (to run on unix
machines). He chose to do some other stuff instead, so I ended up doing a
combined server/client in Delphi. But only as a hobby project, which means I
haven't had that much time for it lately. It's working fine though, the main
thing that's still to be done is the ftp function (when a job is ready, all
images are uploaded to the server)

The original idea was just as you described: with a special client you would
be able to connect to a server, request to have a scene rendered by it's
clients, and if the server approved - the file with the scene would be
distributed to the connected clients and rendered until all frames were
done.

The idea was also that when someone put a server online, it would inform a
third part that it was existing. This part would then add that server to the
list of running servers and publish the list online. This way, you could
check the "DistPOV" website, check if any servers were online, and connect
to a server of your choice.

This of course depends on that people connect their clients to the servers
and set them to "servant-mode" (as compared to "request-mode").

It's still an interesting idea, but it takes some spare time and energy to
realize it.

- Mikael.

Mikael Carneholm
Dep. of Computer Science