POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV 3.5 ideas : Re: POV 3.5 ideas Server Time
17 Jun 2024 05:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.5 ideas
From: Bob Crispen
Date: 2 Jun 1999 00:45:04
Message: <3754A858.44C8DD3E@hiwaay.net>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> That head mesh is great. Only other one I've seen was on TV.

Thanks -- of course, the only thing I had to do with it apart from
(not) sitting still was to reduce it to something you could download
in your lifetime.  Flamingo Optimizer and Chisel can both decimate
a VRML mesh with texture coordinates without screwing up the
image-to-mesh mapping, which I think is magic.  I can't conceive of
trying to write and debug that code.

> I'd wager it
> was the crowd at SIGGRAPH that caused the nose to be off center. Somebody
> probably nudged the tripod (if the laser range finders were tripod
> mounted). heh-heh

No, it was a problem we both share.  An old friend I hadn't seen in
a while came by and said "Hi, Bob", so naturally I had to take a
drink.  ;-)

The lasers were tripod mounted and they even did an automatic scan
which took about a minute.  He took three scans and three photos
and then imported them into MAX and played with them for about a
minute to join them.  Sorry that I've forgotten who made the
cameras and software, but I'll bet there's a dozen of them at this
year's SIGGRAPH.  Beats the hell out of that little finger thingy
that does sort of reverse STL to scan models in.
| Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen        |            "IT FOUND ME!"            |
| cri### [at] hiwaaynet            |      Campus Crusade for Cthulhu      |