POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Semi-OT: Special effects in the Phantom Menace : Semi-OT: Special effects in the Phantom Menace Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Semi-OT: Special effects in the Phantom Menace
From: John VanSickle
Date: 1 Jun 1999 21:07:51
Message: <37547809.9BCBE621@erols.com>
I'll start off by saying that there are no spoilers in this message.

The wife and I went to see SW:TPM on Saturday, and I thought I would
comment here about the computer effects, seeing as we are all hobbyists
in this field.

The effects fall into two categories.  Some of the effects were so
well-done that is was impossible to tell that a computer did it.
Other effects were well-done, but miscues in the lighting and
texturing set them off as being obviously fake.

Oddly enough, the division between the two falls along the same
lines as it would if they had been using POV-Ray:  Objects that are
square, flat, spherical, conical, etc, looked perfect.  The robots
were excellent in every case.  Objects that were organic-looking
looked good, but the lighting and texture was always a little off.

That's all I had to say.

Regards,
John