POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV 3.5 ideas : Re: POV 3.5 ideas Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:53:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.5 ideas
From: Mike
Date: 29 May 1999 08:04:21
Message: <374FC81C.DC372123@aol.com>
With the method I described both could be handled in the same manner.  I
think it would also be easier to type.

translucence {
color <1, 1, 1>
}

or

translucence {
color_map {
[0 color rgb <1, 1, 1>]
[1 color rgb <1, 0, 0>]
}
}

or
translucence {
image_map {
tga "leaf.tga"
}
}

The default would be black, which would be double-illuminate off, and
anything other than that would turn it on.  Clearly it would require a new
entity in texture, which some folks might not like, but I don't see how it
could be handled better, unless it was given an entry in finish like irid.

The image_map example also alludes to an important point.  If UV mapping is
going to be in the next release of POV-Ray, it really should have texture
coordinates specified for image_maps, bump_maps, or any other maps within
those statements, and not part of an object's geometry.  Texture
coordinates should be relative to the uv coordinates of a surface, not
redefine them, otherwise all maps can only be applied in one way.

-Mike