POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Web Graphics : Re: Web Graphics Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:11:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Web Graphics
From: Ken
Date: 29 May 1999 00:17:03
Message: <374F5BD1.34FD1D3D@pacbell.net>
Darcy Johnston wrote:

> H.E. Day <mil### [at] teleportcom> wrote in message
> news:374### [at] teleportcom...
> > Increase the direction.  Remember you've gotta increase the location by
> > an equal amount. Example:
> > camera { location <0,0,10>*4 direction 4*z look_at 0}
> > That work?
>
> That worked beautifully. I had actually tried it earlier, but forgot to
> change my location.
> Thanks.
>
> I now have a different problem I'll throw at you. I'm trying to declare an
> area_light and seem to have trouble getting it the way I want it. From what
> I understand:
>
> light_source
> {
>   0  color rgb 1.0  area_light
>   x*10, y,10, 1
>   adaptive 0   jitter
> }
>
> should create a linear light that runs across the x axis from 0 to 10 and
> has 10 lights running across. Yet for some reason it still seems to behave
> like a point light. The object I'm trying to illuminate runs across the
> x-axis as well so I would expect the object to be illuminated evenly across
> its entire surface, yet only the corner closest to the origin is full
> illuminated and the light fades away we go across the object.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Or am I just not understanding this correctly?
>
> Thanks again for your help,
> Darcy

You are only specifying one light in your array.

x*10, y,10, 1 = 1 light

Should be like these examples:

x*10, y,10,  10,  1 = 10 x 1  = 10 lights - 10 in 1 row

x*10, y,10,   5,  2 =  5 x 2  = 10 lights -  5 in 2 rows

x*10, y,10,   5,  5 =  5 x 5  = 25 lights -  5 in 5 rows

x*10, y,10,   4, 10 =  4 x 10 = 40  lights - 4 in 10 rows

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net