POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Six-Legged Walking: Animations? Tutorials? : Six-Legged Walking:POV MACRO for jointed legs. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:13:45 EDT (-0400)
  Six-Legged Walking:POV MACRO for jointed legs.
From: Mrinal Dhar Virnave
Date: 27 May 1999 11:42:10
Message: <374D562B.E6E72814@i.am>
Wykan wrote:

> I've created a model of a six-legged robot, with a distinctly "insectoid"
> look to it. I'd like to animate it now, but I'm having difficulty planning
> the motion of the legs.
>
> If anyone has an animation of a six-legged creature in motion (or better
> yet, the source code for the motions of those legs), or a tutorial on the
> subject, I'd love to see it.
>
> Hoping,
> Wykan

I'm working on the same thing. Trying to develop paths for the joints. An IK
macro for Pov will do the trick.

Here are some points to ponder.
the legs have these variables.
* phase: what part of the cyclic motion is the foot in. (By foot I mean the
end point of the leg)
* direction: = 1 or -1 depending on weather it is the left or right leg. a
value of -1 will just mirror the leg.

Consider the leg as a straight element with bones and joints.

o--o--o--(  )--o--o--o  <-this is the cross section of the bug lying flat on
its belly.
the o is a joint. Now think of the path of each joint. It will be around a
sphere of its previous joint. The foot moves in this particular fashion.
  ________
 /                \        < a semicircle and then a flat line. and it keeps
on and on
all you have to do now is give formula of the joint positions as a function of
the variable PHASE and give phase offsets for each legs

I'm still working on the leg joint positions. Will let you know soon.
Mrinal