POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rocks : Re: Voyager's Rings Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:28:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Voyager's Rings
From: Jon S  Berndt
Date: 26 May 1999 16:12:49
Message: <374C4771.DF6E50CE@hal-pc.org>
> > > That scene in Voyager is, (pardon the scientific terminology) absolute and
> > > bloody nonsense.
> > >

> >     Um, is that supposed to be Saturn? I assumed it was some smaller ringed
> > planet on the other side of the galaxy...
>
> Well, Smaller with the emphasis on the Small part... we're talking about a
> teeny-tiny planet here...  Suppose the ratio of Planet size to Ring size is

I noticed that, too, a while back. I corresponded with one of the
Voyager illustrators on that. His response was (paraphrased): "Oh, I
don't want to get dragged in to another discussion about scale!  ;-)"
[his smiley, not mine]. I got the feeling they had heard that one
before. The rest of the conversation was centered on artistic license.

It would be render a more realistic version of that scene. If anyone
does, I'll email it to the illustrator!

Jon